Since childhood, we learned that milk is nutritious and it should form part of our daily diet as it is good for our bones and fulfills the protein requirements.
With this learning, we drank milk during our growing up years without any major health issues. So what has changed about milk recently that it makes us believe it is unhealthy. It’s the quality of milk.
The quality of milk has worsened over time. The animals that produce milk do not keep good health anymore because of the greed and corruption of the food lobbies.
With awareness, we get the power to choose whether or not we should consume dairy products.
Here’re some truths about the dairy industry and why you should go dairy-free!
Milk is actually a cocktail of pus, hormones, antibiotics, pesticides. Want to know why?
- Contamination in the milk – The dairy industry uses different techniques to increase milk production. The farmers hook their electronic milking machines to the udder of cows for long hours and this causes Mastitis in the cows. Mastitis is a fatal mammary gland infection that results in inflammation under their tissues. This causes induration and infects the udder of the cattle. These inflammatory cells produce pus which also enters the milk that is produced. Dairy farms also try to inject huge amounts of antibiotics to control mastitis in cows. These contaminate the milk to a great extent and lead to different kinds of illnesses in humans.
- Pesticides – Just like how pesticides are found in inorganic food, pesticides are also sprayed on animal feeds. These accumulate in their milk and meat. When the research was done on huge quantities of milk samples, they found large quantities of DDT, HCH ( an antibiotic given to the cows in their feed), arsenic, cadmium, and lead which results in kidney problems, heart diseases, brain damage, and cancer.
- Growth hormones found in milk causes Obesity, diabetes, and osteoporosis. The estrogen and progesterone in milk can lead to breast and prostate cancers.
- Milk depletes the calcium from the bones – When we consume a lot of proteins, our body becomes very acidic and causes a biological reaction. The calcium stored in the bones is utilized to neutralize this reaction and it passes out of our system as urine. This may hamper our bone health.4)
- Increases the Cholesterol level – Dairy products are rich in saturated fats and trans fats. This means our cholesterol level would increase exponentially when we consume milk and may cause cardiovascular diseases.
- Impact on Insulin – Milk promotes the release of insulin in our body. This happens because of the simple sugar it contains which results in an insulin spike in our body. Insulin is a hormone transfer glucose into our body to increase energy levels. A sudden spike in insulin due to consumption of milk may also affect the sugar levels in the body.
- Digestive issues – Lactose intolerance is the inability of the body to digest lactose, the main carbohydrate in dairy products. Along With this, milk also causes several digestive problems like irritable bowel syndrome, bloating, and constipation. This happens because the body finds it difficult to digest casein, which is a protein present in animal milk. The protein instead of getting digested enters our bloodstream. This digestive problem results in acne and blisters in our mouth too.
So which milk is the healthiest?
Milk extracted from plant-based products like oats, almonds, cashews, Hemp seeds, coconut, and soy is the healthiest. You can replace the dairy milk with plant-based milk in all your recipes and you will find a great improvement in your health if you are suffering from any of the above-mentioned illnesses.
Hence if you are looking to reverse your illnesses you might want to get rid of it entirely. When we cut out milk, we see an impressive enhancement in these conditions.
Hence it is advisable to make all attempts to go dairy-free to lead a healthy and happy life.